My work at NYC Health + Hospitals, The NYC Department of Sanitation, Bellevue Hospital, and the Healing Arts Initiative has focused on public education. My goal as a writer and designer is to make complex concepts easier for different audiences to understand.
Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in collaborating on a project.
Master of Public Health — Hunter/CUNY School of Public Health, 2016
Master's thesis: Rebranding NYC's Public Health Care System
Master of Arts — Urban Studies, Queens College, 2010
Capstone: Creating a Library of Patient Education Materials at Bellevue Hospital
Bachelor of Fine Arts — Rhode Island School of Design, 2002
Animated Thesis — Short Film: Tunanooda — won a Student Emmy, and appeared in more than eighty film festivals, including New Directors/New Films at Lincoln Center, the Kodak Showcase at Cannes, and the Palm Springs International Film Festival.
NYC Health + Hospitals
Lead Designer/Assistant Director of Design/Communications/Marketing, 2013-2018
Created marketing and educational materials for multilingual patient population and visual communications for staff of 45,000
- System-Wide Rebranding — Implemented corporate re-brand, encompassing 11 acute care hospitals, 80 ambulatory centers and clinics, and 6 nursing and rehabilitation facilities.
- Marketing and Educational Materials — Created websites, digital solutions (kiosks, display screens, instructional videos, etc.), print items and more for patients and staff
- Management — In charge of design, branding, and content oversight for more than 25 public affairs staff members at NYC Health + Hospitals facilities
- Internal Communications — Wrote and designed content for internal communications digital hub, The Insider - online intranet magazine, desktop screensavers, social media, and email
- Media Relations — worked with communications team to create press releases and organize press conferences and media events
- Digital Content — oversaw system website redesign in Wordpress, created visuals for marketing/social media campaigns and electronic bulletin boards at facilities
NYC Department of Sanitation — NYC Recycles
Art Director/Associate Public Information Specialist, 2012-2013
Rebranded municipal recycling programs for the City of New York and redesigned hundreds of recycling education/awareness materials:
- All Plastics Recycling — Created educational materials including web content, posters, stickers, mailers, and student guides for 2012 rebranding and transition to all-plastics recycling
- Public Space Recycling Barrels — designed blue, green, and black lidded public recycling bins currently placed in more than 100,000 NYC locations
- Public Events — promoted department initiatives at fairs, toxic material disposal days, school recycling fairs, and other public events
- School Based Recycling Education — Created content for 80 page recycling curriculum packet, and collaborated on designs for school-based compost program signage
NYC Health + Hospitals/Bellevue
Designer/Coordinating Manager, Public Affairs, 2007-2012
Responsible for patient education materials, staff education, and media relations
- Writing/Design — Created a library of patient education materials including a hospitals-wide inpatient guide, and a system of info-sheets for each area of service
- Presentations — Organized monthly hospital-wide staff meetings and presented information to staff and stakeholders
- Media Relations — Communicated with press about patient conditions and hospitals initiatives, organized press events
Healing Arts Initiative
Teaching Artist, 2004-2007
Taught digital design and fine art classes for members of under-served populations in the NYC area. Some classes included:
- Studio at HAI — Eight hour NEA funded weekly art/digital design class for high-functioning adults with schizophrenia/bipolar disorder
- Hawthorne Cedar Knolls — Art courses/activity therapy for teenagers at a residential treatment program/prison alternative high school
- Fort Greene Houses — Art class for NYCHA transitional housing residents
Design Software — Expertise in Indesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketch, Gsuite, HTML, Wordpress, Squarespace, MS Office. Working knowlege of CSS, UI/UX design, and most major web and instructional design platforms
Video/Animation — ble to write, storyboard, shoot, and edit using Premier, After Effects, Imovie and others
Fine Arts — I make ceramic portrait sculptures, mostly of old men — see my other site: davezackin.com
You can use the form below, or write directly to email@example.com.